Friday, May 20, 2011

Scanners at JSOH

This weekend is the Joint Services Open House (JSOH) at Joint Base Andrews. Here's an update on the permissibility of scanners at the show. I just sent this to the Scan-DC mailing list:

For the past couple of years, I've been in e-mail contact with Capt. Anna Carpenter in Public Affairs at Andrews. She has said both years that scanners were permissible at the Open House. This year, when trying to e-mail her, I got an automated reply that her tour was over or something to that effect. So, I tried to e-mail the Public Affairs Office at Andrews. No response. Today I called Public Affairs. Couldn't get anybody on the phone, so asked the base operator to transfer me to the Visitor Center number. The woman there said scanners are not allowed at the show. I told her about Capt. Carpenter's e-mails, and she decided to transfer me to security/law enforcement. Spoke to a gentleman there, and he said they weren't allowed at first either. I told him about Capt. Carpenter's e-mails and how they were not on the prohibited items list, and he said if I wanted to bring them and possibly be hassled, then fine. Or I could
not bring them.

So that's the story for this year - I don't really have a definitive answer. I have had good success in previous years getting through security at the Branch Avenue Metro, so I think I'll probably give it a go again. If anyone wants a copy of the e-mails from previous years, I'd be happy to send them.

Dave

No comments: